School-Based Health Center
The School-Based Health Center (SBHC) was established for teens to help make the best quality health care available in our community more accessible. Because it is located right in the school, the SBHC helps students overcome many obstacles to receiving good health care such as lack of transportation, inconvenient appointment times, or worries about confidentiality. The Center’s staff works closely with your health care provider, parents and school nurse to create a health care resource. If you do not have a health care provider, the SBHC can help you locate one. Our facility is available to all middle and high school students, ages 12 and over, who attend Cab Calloway School of the Arts and The Charter School of Wilmington.
The SBHC is supported by the Division of Public Health and administered by Christiana Care Health System. Red Clay Consolidated School District has provided us with an office next door to the School Nurses’ office. The staff consists of a Nurse Practitioner/Coordinator, Licensed Clinical Social Worker, a Registered Dietitian, and an Administrative Assistant.
Our goals are to:
- Promote on-going comprehensive health care to students
- Detect signs of emotional stress and psychological problems experienced by our students and provide or refer for mental health services
- Improve students’ knowledge of preventive health care and assist them in developing healthy behaviors.
In order for your child to use the SBHC, you will need to complete and return the Consent and Registration form. You can print out the form here: (School-Based Health Center Registration form) or the student can pick one up in the SBHC or the Nurse’s office. We cannot provide services to your child unless your signature is on the form. You select the services you want for your child and if you do not want a particular service you may refuse it on the consent form. This action allows your child to still benefit from the remainder of services offered.
- Completes a physical for sports, job or college or a routine physical
- Gives immunizations and Tuberculosis Skin Tests (TB)
- Treats minor illnesses and injuries
- Gives information about your health concerns
- Does rapid strep tests
- Screens for and treats sexually transmitted diseases
- Does pregnancy tests
- Gives asthma treatments
- Listens to you
- Provides counseling for social and emotional concerns
- Provides information
- Screens for psychological issues
- Helps you to make positive changes in your life
- Meets with other family members if desired
- Helps make outside referrals if indicated
- Works with parents and teachers if desired
- Runs therapy and education groups
- Works with you on weight concerns
- Develops a plan for healthy eating , including a vegetarian diet
- Discusses sports nutrition and how to fuel your sports
- Helps you with special medical diets such as a diabetic diet, low-fat, low-sodium, etc.
- Works with students with eating disorders
- Provides direction and resources for healthy planning and cooking
If you have questions or would like stop by to tour the SBHC and meet our staff, please call or write:
School-Based Health Center
100 North DuPont Road
Wilmington, DE 19807
Download the form above or here: Wilmington Charter-Cab SBHC Registration Packet.